Nutrition Journal invites submissions to a Special Issue entitled, "Food, health, and environmental sustainability". Dr. Sharon Kirkpatrick and Dr. Camille Lassale will serve as the Guest Editors for this special issue.
A growing body of evidence makes it clear that substantial changes are needed to reduce the environmental footprint of our current food system, including the eating patterns that dominate in many parts of the world and that are emerging in other jurisdictions. Given the complexity of the food system and the many players involved, evidence from varied sources and collected using different strategies is needed to inform strategies for moving forward.
Topics for this special issue may include but are not limited to:
· The impact of the food system and current eating patterns on the environment, considering carbon emissions, deforestation, water usage, biodiversity, and/or other relevant factors.
· Methods for examining the environmental sustainability of the food system and eating patterns and for identifying patterns of eating that are consistent with human and planetary health.
· Evaluation of policies and programs (including food-based dietary guidelines) that have the potential to promote eating patterns consistent with human and planetary health.
· Perspectives on balancing potentially conflicting priorities related to human and planetary health, as well as equity.
· Strategies for informing and developing food-based dietary guidelines that explicitly address environmental sustainability.
· Implications of shifts in the food system to address environmental sustainability for equity, within and between countries.
· In-depth and evidence-based examinations of relevant controversies.
We invite submission of papers reporting on original research (qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods) or systematic or narrative reviews of the scientific literature. Studies originating in low-, middle-, and high-income countries are encouraged.
The submission deadline is May 1, 2020. Submissions can be made via the journal’s online system and authors are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter they are submitting to the Special Issue on Food, health, and the environment.
Submitted papers should be consistent with Nutrition Journal’s aims and scope, adhere to the submission guidelines, and not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. Submissions will be subject to the journal’s regular peer review process.
We look forward to receiving your submission, and invite you to share information about this Special Issue with your colleagues.